Review: COMA Premiere on A&E Part 2

September 4, 2012 A&E concluded the two part series of COMA. My initial review of the first half can be read here. 

AE, AETV, afterthelevels.com, blog, COMA, cory blaze, science fiction, tv premier, tv shows,
I present to you my final review. 

The series as a whole was riveting and completely believable in the sense I could envision a medical provider doing such a thing now a days. The movie made some interesting points about medical service, insurance, doctors compensation and finding a way to revive a dying industry.

However the questions I posed in my previous entry are still left standing. The conclusion of the series left me wanting more of a conclusion. 

Some questions consist of, how did the old lady running Jefferson Hospital die? All I saw was a struggle, a cut away then a needle in the neck. I wanted to see the struggle. What about the black chief of medicine; after he saved the medical student then admitted to the detective he knew where she was what was the fall out from that? And were we set up for a parts 3/4 taking into consideration the text revealed at the end of the movie "join me - china"? 


The cliff hangers are great for a two part series, but I'm still left with unanswered questions. I guess I would classify it as not having any closure on the characters. Were we suppose to be left in suspense of a part 3/4 or is it over? If A&E does not come back with a 3/4, that will leave more of a bad taste in my mouth. You had us over a barrel A&E, but you left us swinging.

With that being said, I must lower my initial rating from 4.5 out of 5 to a 3 out of 5

I want closure at the end of TV movie. Or I want the "Batman trilogy" effect, where I know the cliff hangers will leave me to something eventually. Ending a cable network TV series with the cliche line: "it was all a bad dream" really diminished the entire story line. 

There were some surprises I didn't expect. When Richard Dryfus character revealed that everything being done at Jefferson was actually created by the medical students grandfather. But the next scene was him getting handcuffed. Huh?

The ending of the movie seemed as if the story line had ran out of steam so they went to the well and brought out the status quo. It was a lackluster conclusion and I'm a little disappointed in myself, I missed the first ladies speech to be left over a barrel. Sorry A&E, you started off strong but the finish was less than desirable. 

No comments: