Bandwaggon Sports Fans

urban dictionary logo, cory blaze, afterthelevels.com
1. Bandwaggon Fan: Switches support to whatever team/game/allegiance/belief happens to be successful at the time

Source: UrbanDictionary.com

Sitting at a local sports bar and grill tonight, I happened to enter a conversation that lead to a friend of mine admitting he was a Lakers fan. As a knee jerk reaction I ask "What part of LA are you from?". He replies, "I'm not, I'm from Phoenix". Bandwaggoner.

bandwaggon logo, cory blaze, afterthelevels.com
On the last episode of FatGuyRadioShow, you can hear it here, my co-host lil D admitted the same thing. Except it was concerning his favorite football team, the Green Bay Packers. Again, asked what part of Wisconsin was he from. I knew the answer to that question because lil D also happens to be my brother.

I understand being liking other teams, but the sports fan creed is to be a fan of your home team. Some may ask what if I live in a state that does not have a home team? Then the creed states you cheer for the team in the nearest city. Is this "sports law", well diehard sports fans would say it is law.

A true sports fan must always have their home team at heart. Winning or loosing, but when you cheer for another team solely because that team is more successful, than that makes you a bandwaggon fan. You are doing it just because its hot. I would go out on the limb to say you're not a true sports fan because you don't understand the rules of engagement.

I was born and raised in Phoenix, AZ and being a guy that loves basketball I am a fan of my home team the Phoenix Suns. Most people familiar with the NBA understands the Phoenix Suns don't always play at their best, hell, I've even classified myself as the beaten wife of the Suns. When they loose its like getting punched in the face. However that does not challenge my allegiance to my home team.

Phoenix has about 65% of is population is from other parts of the country. I have friends that are from Chicago, so when we sit to watch a Suns vs Bulls game, I expect them to root for the Bulls. Why? It's where they are from. But when I sit next to a guy born in Tempe, AZ and he claims to be a Bulls fan I call bandwaggon.

The worst type of bandwaggon fan is the one that won't admit it. The guy that argues you down about them being a bandwaggon fan. Those guys are the worst. I loose more respect for a "fan" that refuses to admit he's only a fan of another cities team because they are better than his home team.

Be proud of where you are from and with doing so you cheer for your home team. Simple as that!

No comments: